Friday, November 7, 2008

When to wean?

Questions...
1. How old was your baby/babies when they were weaned?
2. Did you wean them? Or did they wean you?!

11 comments:

queenieweenie said...

Hailey 14 months
Spencer 10 months
Jake 14 months
Sammy 13 months

They all pretty much weaned themselves, although I started to divert their attention when they got older. I'm not a big fan of forced weaning...for me it just gradually got less and less until we stopped. I don't remember the "last time" I nursed any of them. Everybody is different though.

McGraths said...

I weaned both of my boys at a year. Shade was kind of forced into it when I went on a trip with my mom to NY. He did fine though.

Are you thinking about it soon?

Ashley Dickman said...

kaden was 9 months... he was getting really big... it was ackward... and i was ready... i'm a mean mom... he did great... i was in a lot of pain... i even rubbed bacon grease on me... that's another story! :)

Ash and Christian said...

Ava was 10 months. Like Jaryn, I went on a trip to New York and I weaned her the whole month before we left... just taking away one feeding at a time and replacing it with solids.

The morning one was hardest for me. It's SO much easier to get up and nurse rather than get up and mix up some rice cereal. Good luck!

Tim and Jennifer said...

Kyle was a week before he turned 9 months. I lost a lot of my milk when we moved to TX because I gave him more bottles while we were packing and the stress of it all. The day after we moved was the last time I pumped. I decided it wasn't worth it to try and get my milk back so we just cut out some nursed feedings. I nursed him morning and night. Then all of a sudden he literally refused it, so there was nothing I could do. It didn't hurt me because I had already lost a lot of milk. Nursing was never an easy task for us. I didn't create that "special bond" (I also had 4 infections!!). It got easier and I'm glad I kept with it and hopefully the next kid will be better. Haha, I rambled a lot. Good luck!

Sandi said...

Bronson 6 months I weaned
Shaylee 7 months She weaned
Hunter 10 months He weaned
Hadley 1 year I weaned.

I felt rejected with Hunter and Shaylee.
I felt like a mean mom with Bronson and Hadley.

You can't win either way!

Katie said...

Lucy 11 months-I was expecting again so I weaned her ;)

Danica Osborn said...

as claire's b-day approached i began only nursing at night just before bed. and on her 1st birthday i was DONE! i really wanted to do it sooner, but i just hung in there, to meet that milestone. nursing does get frustrating when they stop being as interested, and are easily distracted, but i'm glad i nursed as long as i did.

she went from the boob to whole lactaid though b/c she had a hard time with dairy at first and then around 18 mos. i transitioned her to 2%, which the dr. said was fine b/c she's not hurting size-wise. :)

when you're done nursing though, you do kind of miss it and that special bonding alone time, at least it was that way for me and some of the moms i've talked to...

Aaron and Lindsay said...

I stopped at 8 months when she got her first teeth. I didn't enjoy it as much as other mom's do. I didn't really feel the bond either. I started giving her a bottle of formula at night to give me a break around 4 months. I also gave her pumped bottles or formula during the day when I was too busy to nurse. It made the transition a breeze! She was already used to the bottle. Once I decided to be officially done, she never wanted/tried to nurse again. It was awesome!! I am now in the process of weening the bottle, and I think that is going to be another story.

Aaron and Lindsay said...

I stopped at 8 months when she got her first teeth. I didn't enjoy it as much as other mom's do. I didn't really feel the bond either. I started giving her a bottle of formula at night to give me a break around 4 months. I also gave her pumped bottles or formula during the day when I was too busy to nurse. It made the transition a breeze! She was already used to the bottle. Once I decided to be officially done, she never wanted/tried to nurse again. It was awesome!! I am now in the process of weening the bottle, and I think that is going to be another story.

ls said...

Um, I am a little out numbered here, but, ahem, I am STILL nursing my baby. He is, ahem, 16 months old. He only nurses in the morning and at night before bed. I am so not ready to be done yet though, and neither is he. I love holding him in my arms and having that time with him. We will probably wean around 18 months.