Saturday, November 15, 2008

What is going on?

While Matt and I were falling in love in Hawaii, we sat and watched the sunset one evening at Turtle Bay. We dreamed about getting married and living right there on the sand in a little hut and teaching our children to fish, climb for coconuts, and learn to dance like the islanders. That simple/protected life is sounding pretty good these past few weeks.

Last night Barbara Walters had a special on called, "What is a man, what is a women?" What? I can't believe that kind of story is necessary. As I watched it, I got more and more concerned for my child and the world she will grow up in. It is changing fast. And that is the scary part. I have seen huge changes in this country in the past few years. Not all for the better.

In the interview with Thomas Beatie (previously 1st pregnant "man", is now pregnant with #2) he said, "The face of families is changing". The makes me feel uneasy. Honestly, I want to hightail somewhere that my little family.
They had birth certificates changed to read:
Parent:_____ and Parent:______
instead of
Mother:______ and Father:__________

Applicant A, Applicant B; ring a bell?

I just want to be a bride, a women, a mother. And I want that to remain sacred. Just as a man, and a father is. There is a definite distinction of the two, and Heavenly Father made it that way.
I don't want to be "Applicant A". I am more than "Applicant A", I am a wife. I am more than a parent. I am a mother. Matt is more than a parent. He is a father.

I can't believe we are fighting to define what a male and female are. What is next? Seriously, what is next?

I know that people say they feel they were born the wrong gender, and change that. I know that people who are gay, are going to be gay. I know that trans-gender families are going to continue having babies. I have accepted that. We live in an ever changing world.

But why do I have to agree with that?

I don't.

2 comments:

Danica Osborn said...

i saw another interview with that thomas beatie guy and he talked about how he'd kept his female sex organs because he wasn't ready to give up on the idea of bringing a child into this world. i literally yelled at the TV, "you GAVE UP that right when you became a man! you can't have it both ways!" if you feel like you were born into the wrong body and you're a man, than you should no longer feel maternal qualities and want to be a mom. agh! it's so frustrating. the line between right and wrong is getting so muddied and it terrifies me too that we're going to have to try so hard to combat what the world's teaching and what we know to be right with our children. such scary times. i didn't know about that birth certificate change. we had major protests out here in chicago about prop 8 now (still not really sure why) and it gave me a glimpse at what you're experiencing out there. we'll join you when you become islanders!

J & J said...

this world scares me so much. so, so much.