The reason I ask is because Kate is acting like she is over it. She will nurse for a few minutes and then pull off and complain. However, she doesn't cry once I stop. And she doesn't act hungry. We are on the same schedule as usual.
So I first thought maybe I am not making enough..then I thought maybe it was the antibiotics I was on...then I thought maybe she was just done with me. Which, I totally am NOT ready for. I went through 11 weeks of pain, blood, tears, and flat out suffering at the beginning, so I am committed. She is not even 6 months yet, so I feel like it is too early anyways.
So, any advice. I have been drinking like crazy. I got some Organic Mother's Milk Herbal Tea, that is suppose to help. Trying to eat more protein. I am also on Weight Watchers and have been losing 2 pounds a week on average. I asked the lady who runs it today and she said 1 pound a week might help. I just need some advice. Any diet while nursing and have trouble? When and if she wakes up at night, she gets a bottle. So, I have stopped that. Nursing only.
Why can't it be easy?
ps. when I was buying the tea, the checkout lady looked at me and said, "You know what helped me, a beer." She said it helped with production, and helped the baby sleep better. I am suuuure it did!
Saturday, November 8, 2008
Weaning part 2
Posted by
Ani
at
12:51 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
Sorry you have to hear from me again. But I did weight watchers as well when Daylynn was 3 months, and was losing about the same amount a week as you. I got in trouble by one of the ladies because of it. She told me my milk supply was going to go away. I didn't really believe her, but Day would be nursing for 20-30 min a side and come off screaming. I went on vacation in the middle of it, and stopped exercising as much, and eating a little more. All of a sudden she was eating 10-15 min a side and totally content. I would suggest trying 1lb a week, and see if that helps. I know it sucks especially when you want the extra weight gone (in fact I am still working on it 1 year later), but it was worth it to stop w.w. for Daylynn. I also think they go in phases of liking to nurse and not liking it. So hang in there if you still want to nurse.
some of it may just be her getting distracted more. you know kate, but wouldn't she be letting you know if she was hungry? has it seemed like she has an upset stomach or constipation or diarrhea at all? my sil had her son wean himself at about the same age, and she was devestated, but a-she couldn't produce enough milk so it seemed like he was always hungry and would devour formula, and b-her consumption of dairy was making him sick (which she didn't realize until later) maybe you could try ditching dairy for a little bit, b/c a lot of times that causes babies upset tummies so they begin nursing less...
dunno though. that's a tough one. sorry it's been so diificult, you're a trouper for hanging in there.
let me know when you're ready to throw back a 6 pack! everyone keeps telling me i need to drink a glass of wine, loosen up a bit, and i'll get pregnant right away...tempting after a yr of trying...:)
Ani, My mother-in-law actually drank a beer to get her milk back... But what I have heard is it is the malt in the beer that helps with milk. I know you can just buy malt and drink it and it is suppose to help with milk. I am actually going to try it this week I will let you know!
ps I hope you don't care that we named our baby Kate! I have always loved that name! great minds think alike!
It is normal for babies to sometimes only want to nurse for a few minutes. Aven will do that too. I was worried and looked it up online and that is normal. Sometimes I will put a little orajel on his gums before I nurse if he is acting like his gums/teeth are hurting him. I still drink my tea just to make sure my milk supply is ok.
Oh! I am sad I am only now seeing all these posts. Maybe it is too late, but here is my two cents...
Some babies go through periods where they don't want to nurse as much, and some babies even go on "nursing strikes" where they seem to want nothing to do with nursing.
When my baby was 9 months old he became completely disinterested in nursing. I was devastated. I at least wanted to make it to a year with him and I wasn't ready to be done. So I researched it and did a lot of reading and within a few days of implementing the techniques (bring him to breast often etc.) he was back to nursing like a champ.
I would almost guarantee that doing Weight Watchers would decrease your milk supply. While you are nursing you are supposed to consume 500 extra calories a day, so I probably wouldn't limit your nutrition intake if you are wanting to keep nursing.
At any rate, you are her mother and you will know what will work for you guys. Good luck!
Post a Comment