This is Mike. The response has been overwhelming from family and friends on the living donor front. We are truly grateful for this but need to make sure we are not working against ourselves. UCLA has one coordinator working on Ruby for living donors and our concern is that she is being inundated with calls and is having to work through all of the messages and losing time. My intent with this post is to clarify who would be eligible and therefore reduce the amount of calls that wouldn't be a match based on the criteria we know up front.
1. Small frame and body-There is no exact body or weight ratio they are looking for. All we can say is that our cousin we thought would be match was too big at 5'4" and 115 pounds. Fit and healthy donors are always preferable.
2. Cannot be breast-feeding
3. Must have healthy liver (no heavy drinking, smoking, drug use, disease)
4. Blood type must be A or O positive
5. Age-younger the better, must be 18 at least.
6. They would like to avoid young mothers, although this will not preclude you from donating
7. IMPORTANT-Please spend some time educating yourself on the surgery. This is not a simple surgery and comes with a fair amount of risk. 20% of the cases end in complication. You will spend 6 hours under for the operation, two days in the ICU, and another 7 days in the hospital (approximate times). Women will not be able to become pregnant for 12-24 months. Risk of death is negligible as that has occurred only once since 1985. Here is a link that explains some of the components. Please visit this page and explore the info available:
http://transplants.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=66&oTopID=37
8. Lastly, for ethical reasons, the family cannot answer questions about the process or specifically if you would be a match. Please go through everything above, make the decision if you would like to proceed, and call the coordinator at UCLA at 310.794.3223. Her name is Karen. Most likely you will have to leave a message and await a call back. However, if you meet everything above and want to proceed it's worth noting on your message why you are a good match (i.e. small body and frame). Karen has been going through hundreds of calls that have come in trying to determine who could be a match. Keep in mind once a phone interview has been conducted and passed the living donor will have to come to UCLA and undergo many more tests such as MRI, CAT scan, physiological testing, etc.
Again, thank you so much for considering doing this.`` Hopefully the above provides some answers and allow more informed decisions to be made.
Thursday, August 11, 2011
Living Donor
Posted by
Ani
at
10:33 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


12 comments:
also - you MUST know the Taylor family. Even if you have met Ani once that does not classify as knowing the family.
Do any of you know why you have to "know" Ani? I am so curious as to why they wouldn't allow anyone to be a donor.
Sandi, it's a matter of ethics. They want to make sure that a donor is not being solicited.
Does ruby still need blood and platelets?
I would love to donate blood if Ruby needs it. I am O+ and CMV negative. Please let us know...
I wish I knew you guys, because I was considering being a donor. Regardless, we have been praying for all of you and will continue to do so.
We have never met-I saw your blog through Natalie Norton ..I am O pos.-- not breast feeding-- over 18 yrs old- but I am just about 5'6 and weigh 122 --think I am too big? I have two beautiful daughters too and would do anything for them.. I would help if I could. monique@sonofagunranch.com
Thoughts-prayers.
monique --Bowdle-south dakota
We have never met before but I just read little Ruby's story and it broke my heart. Please let you sister know if she needs something brought to the hospital (like food etc.) I would be happy to do it. I believe I am pretty close to the hospital.
Shalayne
Laynie.wyatt@gmail.com
This is just my two cents, but the shoe size of your wonderful generous cousin could help people judge if they are "smaller framed" than she is. A weird comment, but just a thought.
Hi, I'm the cousin. Thanks guys, but I'm 5'5" and 122 lbs and don't necessarily think I have a small frame. My shoe size is 7-7.5.
Isn't it A positive or O negative since that's the universal donor?
I heard you can't have more than four kids, the fewer the better.
Recovery: no driving or lifting more than 10 pounds for at least six weeks, no working for at least 8 weeks. If you're out of state you will need to stay in California for one month and return here 4 times over the next two years.
You also would need to start NOW. Ruby needs this ASAP. Testing will take 1-2 days and consists of: appointment with surgeon, CT, blood work, psychology consult, EKG, stress test, echocardiogram, cardiology consult, social worker and ethics consults, more blood work, chest XR, and MRI.
Feel free to e-mail if you have quesetions I can try to answer.
deblong@gmail.com
praying! God is the God of miracles and I am praying for one for little Ruby now!
holding back tears, i pray for your family. taylor family you are deeply in my thought and will forever be in my heart! from one mom to another...
Post a Comment