Monday, May 4, 2009

Where did my baby go?



Just when I thought I had this whole "mothering" thing down, I realize I have no idea what I am doing.

I thought I knew what the short, little, whipper-cry meant. I knew for sure that the full on crying sound, but without tears, meant. I knew it meant something different with tears. Tears meant business. I even knew what she wanted sometimes by the look in her eye.

Or so I thought.

She whines. She crys. Tears and more tears. But then she will laugh out loud, only to cry seconds later? What does this mean, Kate? I don't speak that langauge. Remember the language we have been speaking for the past 11 months and 2 weeks? Remember?!

My once perfect sleeper, sleeps no more. Refuses naps. 11pm bedtimes. A 2:30 am diaper change and bottle. She throws her nummy. Isn't that the worse? Especially in the dark. It always ends up under the dresser, covered in dust.

What is a mother to do?

What do I do?!

I am hoping it is all teething. She does have a runny nose, maybe a cold coming on? Did your child get replaced by a stranger-baby when they were teething?

Kate, come back.

3 comments:

erica said...

wow, i must have been destined to read your blog tonight...my little girl is going through this exact thing. sleeping like crap - waking every 2-3 hours at night, hardly taking her naps, and laughing one second and crying the next. it must be the teething...but dang, how long is it going to last? ha, ivy barely has two in. its going to be a long road.
(sorry for the long comment from a friend of a friend of a friend)

Ashley Dickman said...

ok, this is just an idea because it sounds like what happened to emory for a couple of days. i started introducing new foods to her thinking she should be ready... certain meats and so forth and her little tummy was not having it. i completly took her off of everything for a few days- except for rice, fruits and veggies and then we gradually broke her into things feeding her the same thing for 5 days and so forth and it did the trick. ok, that was emory... with kaden however- we started him on solids and forgot the baby food and he wasn't getting enough food and he still needed to be on his baby food plus solids. for the teeth... we give her an old tylenol dropper to chew on during the day that she loves and then motrin every night before she goes to bed. oh, i'm so sorry. i hope things get better. i can't imagine being to the sleeping great and then it disappearing! finally, your pictures look GREAT! :)

S. Tallman said...

These stages come on so unexpectedly, and you are totally thrown for a loop! It sounds like something physical to me--teething, a bug she is coming down with, a growing spurt that hurts her. I'm sure Kate is as befuddled by all this as you are. Hang in there. The real Kate will come back!