Monday, June 30, 2008

Look who's getting chubby!

Look at those cheeks! She decided this week that she really wanted to grow! The past few days we have started to get a few smiles too, but this morning I got the biggest smile yet and I melted! I super love her. I tried to get a picture of her smiling, but I guess that big one was all she wanted to give today, so this will have to due! After six painful nursing weeks, I diagnosed Kate with thrush. I think she has had if for a least 3 weeks. I decided to take things into my own hands and told her doctor to call in an Rx. Sure hope this is the cure!

ps. If you/baby have had this, how long did it take to clear up, and how long to nurse and not feel like you are on fire/have glass cutting you? Do you keep nursing? Pump? Shield? Fill me in.

9 comments:

B. B. said...

Hey Ani, I hope you remember me from spec ed. I linked to your blog from Liz Twede's and first off want to tell you congratulations. Your baby is adorable! I have a 5 month old and we had thrush from birth. He didn't have any signs of it except for a recurring diaper rash but it was soooooooo painful for me. I was miserable and so frustrated because none of the doctors knew anything about it and their solution was just to stop nursing. I researched for hours on the internet and basically ended up telling the doctors what to do. So not to discourage you but thrush can be very hard to get rid of. Yeast has become resistant to many of the typical treatments. I tried EVERYTHING--diflucan, nystatin, topical ointments, acidophilus supplements, gentian violet, boiling everything twice a day, and I even cut sugar and dairy out of my diet for awhile but nothing worked. I had a sore on one side that was HUGE that didn't clear up for over 8 weeks. It was miserable. Anyway, it did eventually clear up but not until Henry was 3 months old and, honestly, I don't think anything I did made it stop. I was going crazy trying to treat it a million ways so I eventually just stopped all medicines, everything and it cleared up a few weeks later. I think we just grew out of it and I've heard it's like that for a lot of people. Some things I did do that helped were: rinsing off my nipples with water after every feeding, using a topical cream with pain meds, I pumped on the one side with the sore exclusively for about 3 weeks until it finally healed, and ditch the nursing pads if you're using them (that made a big difference in my pain level), also get a good lactation consultant to help you. I could go on forever! Hopefully yours won't be as bad but hang in there if you can. Sorry for the novel but I know when I was in your situation I was desperate for help from someone who had gone through it. The pain slowly got better over time and I'm so glad I stuck it out!

Brooke Bushman
p.s. You need to treat the baby as well even if she doesn't show signs. Nystatin is worthless. See if they'll give her diflucan
p.p.s. I didn't do this but I heard grape seed extract was really helpful for some

Heath and Gretchen said...

Yes!!! More pictures! Ani, she is SO beautiful! Congratulations on the blessing and a successful outlet experience! :)

Aaron and Lindsay said...

Ani! She is so cute!!! I love her little chubby cheeks. She is already changing. You probably don't want to hear that, b/c you want them to stay little forever, but it is so fun to see them change. So who does she look like? It isn't as obvious as my baby...ha!

Ashley Dickman said...

oh she is looking so big already! so cute!

Chris and Debbie said...

Nice diagnosis Dr. Ani! Hopefully if you treat the thrush it will cure you also. I love Kate's chubby cheeks and I LOVE it when babies start smiling!

Chad and Carly said...

I was wondering where you went! I am so glad that the blessing went well! She is getting so big! I love the cheeks! They are just like mine! You look great by the way! We need to catch up!

queenieweenie said...

Ani,

I didn't know you were in special ed :)

She is SO CUTE! You may not love nursing but she so obviously does!

Megan and Mike said...

I almost didn't recognize her!! She is sooo stinkin cute! I can't wait to see you guys tomorrow!

Jeff and Kandis said...

She is getting so big already, time flies! My advice would be wash everything that goes in her mouth. Especially your chest. Each time she nurses wash yourself with a clean soap & water cloth. Pumping is also very helpful, but I wouldn't only pump b/c you want her to still be interested in your breast.Good luck!