Caution: Nursing and boobs mentioned. No boys, unless you are Jared Wall, because he is totally into the whole nursing/boob thing right now with Lindsey and even bought her "My Breast Friend". Awesome.
First of all, I can't believe some of you like that hair below! I sort of put it on there as a joke, and then everytime someone said they liked it, I had to look at it again! I look so NOT me! But thanks for loving me however I look. I actually am going to get my hair done tomorrow! I can't wait! No bangs though, just the usual. Which brings me to my next question of: How do you get your hair done with a newborn?! I am thinking a little far in advance, but this is important. If I am nursing, I can't just leave her with my mom. Hire a wet nurse?! Totally joking. Once, my mom left my sister with a friend for a few hours, and when my mom came to pick her up, the friend told my mom that she hoped she didn't mind, but Danielle was hungry to she nursed her! Oh my! (So gross Danielle, I can't believe you would let someone do that!)
I am getting a little nervous about the how nursing thing. I know it is going to hurt like crazy. But, I really want to do it. I have heard horror stories of cracking, bleeding, infections, and flapping nips. Have you had good/bad experiences. Tips for the nips? Is preparation necessary? Give it to me ladies. I am ready.
ps. My little brother calls nursing, "milking".
Monday, April 7, 2008
Tips for the nips?
Posted by
Ani
at
2:03 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


17 comments:
Other than it taking FOREVER at first, I haven't had too much of a problem. Buy a pump! It has been my life saver. Whenever I have to be somewhere or will be out longer than three hours I just pump and take a bottle. Or leave a bottle with whoever is watching her. One of my best investments ever. I have an inbetween one. It's a lansinoh brand and I got it at target. Good luck! It will be here before you know it. Sleep lots.
By inbetween, I meant price. Not the cheapest one, but not the most expensive one either.
I love my pump. Can't imagine life without it. Kyle is horrible at nursing, so I hardly ever attempt in public. Instead, I just pump and go! I felt like giving up on nursing for the first 2 months or so, so if your little girl has trouble...I can relate!
Oh I have a lot to say on this topic. Item #1) I went and got my hair colored right before the baby was born so that I didn't have to do it again until he was like 4 months old. By that time I had gotten more comfortable/competent at nursing discreetly in public and I simply nursed him under the little cape thingy while I was under the heat dryer thing. It was fine. But pumping in advance and then doing the bottle would work as well. I would also recommend having someone (your mom or sister etc.) come with you so they can hold the baby while you are getting it done.
Item #2) Nursing really is the greatest thing I have done for my baby and I am SO grateful that I weathered through those first few weeks of torture. It is SO wonderful not only for him, but I also really love it. It is quick, convenient, and doesn't require any dishes or mess. I also love that I have an excuse to just SIT down and relax with him for a certain amount each day (it is also an awesome excuse to escape to privacy during awkward gatherings with my husband's step-family). And most importantly, you definitely can't argue with it nutritionally being the best thing for your baby. So, with all that being said, my advice is just to know that it will probably be HARD at first. My nipples cracked and bled and when my milk came in I was so engorged that my baby couldn't even latch on. It was honestly more painful than most aspects of labor for me. But after the first two weeks it got SO much better and by the end of the first month I felt like I had a good handle on it. It really is completely worth the pain and discomfort. And it WILL get better. I remember telling myself that over and over again :).
I have some great recommendations for if you get super sore/engorged so let me know if you want any more info. Sorry to be so long-winded!
Honestly? It was one of my favorite parts about having a baby. That said..with Hailey it was a super chore at first. I remember crying 'cause she was crying and being about ready to give up. But, I didn't and I'm soooo happy. I loved nursing all my little ones. Best part-you get to eat a TON!
Oh, my best tip (this is for down the road-but remember it!) is for when they get teeth and start to bite. If they chomp down, pull them quickly towards you so their nose gets covered by your boobie-they can't breathe so they pull off. MUCH better than flicking them on the cheek!
Buy a nighttime nursing bra from Motherhood Maternity to sleep with. They are much more comfortable then a regular nursing bra. Also, I used a lot of Lansinah cream. It is awesome. You also might want to program La Leche into your cell phone. They are great for moral support.
Don't freak yourself out. It might not be bad at all (it wasn't for me.) The worst part is waiting for your milk to come in. Pumps are obviously wonderful. The first 4 weeks of life are crazy anyway, so nursing will be the least of your worries.
As for getting your hair done, I'd rather get my hairs done/nails done/anything done with a newborn rather than a 3/4/5/6 month old any day. Because they are ALWAYS sleeping. Take the advice of your friend who said she got her hair done right before. Maybe go a little darker so you're not having to get it done every 4-6 weeks. If you have to leave, just pump and leave her with Sherri.
After reading all these comments, I have decided that I am adopting cute little black babies...thanks Ani for making this decision MUCH easier!
Wow-hot topic! GET NEWMAN'S NIPPLE CREAM! It's a prescripion and so worth it! I had NO problems with bleeding, cracking, mastitis etc. I am a believer. Get before you even leave the hospital.
I got a perm when Lucy was about 1 month old. I just pumped ahead of time for Marc to feed her while I was gone(BTW get a Medella electric pump-so worth the money) and then pumped under the drape they put on you while I was there.
1 more thing, if you want her to take a bottle well it is a delicate balance. You need to give her at least 3 weeks to get used to nursing but if you wait past 4 weeks she may not take a bottle well. We fed Lucy a bottle at 4 weeks and it was great. You will need to feed her a bottle about once a day to keep her taking it well.
well, it hardly sounds like you need any more advice, but i'll burden you with some just the same. p.s. karissa's comment made me laugh out loud. and kevin cracked up when he saw the title of this post since he was sitting next to me. anyway, when my milk came in i was so engorged and in pain that i could hardly move or sleep. when i think back, i almost have worse memories from my milk coming in than labor, but after that first week it was smooth sailing for me and i never had any trouble nursing after that. i've gone on an on about the benefits on my own blog so i'll spare you those. may i recommend a "hooter hider"! that's the gift i give at every baby shower now. check them out here: http://www.bebeaulait.com/
it made my life so much easier!!! i also liked using a nipple shield occasionally at the very beginning. also, even though it hurts, massaging (kind of roughly) the nipples and boobs and rubbing them (kind of hard) with a towel kind of helps prepare them for the beating they're in for that first couple weeks. but i think you're supposed to hold off a bit into later in your pregnancy because it can supposedly induce labor. sorry to respond your ear off. good luck with those boobies of yours!
I only breatfeed Reese for like 6 weeks. I just couldn't do it. I was all for nursing before that too. I was not happy that I couldn't do it either. I felt like a total failure, but then I realized that honestly it isn't for everyone, so just be prepared that things aren't always like you think they will turn out and that is ok. I now know that just because I didn't breastfeed doesn't mean that I am not a good mom.
ok. I have to comment on this one! My husband and I read your blog all the time and you just crack us up! My husband and your husband are good friends and I'll hear him in the office just laughing at your blog... I usually ask if he is reading "matty balls wifes" and he says yes. Each time he reads something he usually says something to the effect of "I swear, they are perfect for each other!"
About breast feeding... I would highly recommend you going to get this wonderful purple tube by Lansinoh for breastfeeding mothers! I started putting it on a couple months before I had my little guy which helped a ton obviously b/c I had NO PROBLEMS breastfeeding. Like you, I had heard awful stories, but had no problems. Don't get me wrong, you feel like you've gained 20 pounds in your breast alone(it's nothing now, wait until the milk comes in)! I used it all at the beginning of breastfeeding... it's safe for them to nurse while it's on and it doesn't stain your clothes! I would also recommend an electric pump! Good luck to you!
We are excited to see pictures of this little girl!
if you want to do it - you will be great! it is all about attitude. it can hurt for the first couple of weeks, but after that, you are home free. everyone's advice was great. i also HIGHLY recommend "babywise" - my total saving grace. if you want to really get nursing down AND get tons of sleep - it is the best book around. i did it with all 4 of my babies, they were all sleeping thru the night by the latest, 8 weeks. if you don't believe me, i can tell you a bunch of other moms in the ward who also swear by it. anyone who tells you it doesn't work and you have to let your baby cry either doesn't know what they are talking about, didn't read the book, or just couldn't figure it out. memorize the book now and you and your baby will be happy campers! good luck!
Babywise, I totally agree is the best book. Both my boys did it and man is it a lifesaver. Also Medella double pump. Kinda spendy but worth the investment. My cousin got a nipple shield and swore by it, said she was never in pain to nurse. I went to try it with Michael and luckily breastfeeding the second time wasn't bad at all. Good luck!
I hope nursing is a fabulous experience for you! It is worth it. But I have truly had every bad nursing side effect possible (plus it hurts like heck for me for a good six weeks), so if you have any problems at all, just call me!
Post a Comment