I have been asked for advice, a few times, about how to handle, what to say, and what to do for someone after they have lost a loved one. I for sure don't have it figured out, but I can share with you, what worked for me.
1. Talk about the person. The most important thing for me was to feel like Ruby is remembered. Hearing people talk about her, makes my day.
2. Use their name. I love to hear Ruby's name. I miss out on saying it a million times a day, like I say, "Kate". I am excited to use her name, and love it when others do as well.
3. Don't be afraid. Being afraid, and not saying anything at all, is worse than saying the wrong thing. I appreciate a family that I always make eye contact with at church, and they always give me a warm smile. It makes me feel like they know I am hurting, and they want to acknowledge that.
4. Be honest. I loved it when someone told me exactly how they felt. I remember a friend telling me how she really struggled with her testimony for awhile, because of what happened to Ruby. It helped me to realize that Ruby had a really strong impact on not only us, but the people around us. It made me feel more comfortable sharing how I felt, when other people told me how they felt.
5. Share how that person has touched you. Getting emails about an exact example of a way that Ruby has changed their life was the most meaningful things to me. Knowing that my friend put down her laundry, and decided to play with her children that afternoon because of my baby, meant the world to me to hear.
6. Don't minimize the pain. Yes, time is helpful, but it doesn't make it ever go away. I think time changes those left behind, and enables them to better cope with a loss, but doesn't heal it. Hearing, "Oh, you will be fine in a year!!" doesn't make me feel better. Don't say, "Well, you will have another child." Or, "At least you don't have a lifetime of memories to be sad about." What most people say is, "She is in a better place."Any loss is a great one. A miscarriage, a stillborn, a toddler, or a grandpa. There is always pain and sorrow involved. When people minimize the loss, it had made me feel like I should not be mourning so much.
7. Everyone grieves differently. Allow others to grieve how they are comfortable. No one can tell you how to grieve. People cry at different times. Emotions are triggered by different things. People take different amounts of time to mourn, and be depressed, etc.
8. Don't judge. One of the hardest part of grieving for me has been to feel like I am being watched. I remember the first time I laughed out loud after Ruby passed away, and I instantly felt guilt, and looked around to see who had seen me. I might be broken and crying on the floor in the morning, but I get my self together, and can be a playful mom an hour later. It doesn't mean I have healed. It doesn't mean I have forgotten, or moved on. It just means I am having an ok moment! When I have had a break down, I have appreciated a little pat on my back, and a tissue discretely handed my way.
9. Don't ask, just DO. Yes, I needed my bathroom cleaned and I was too tired to even lift my arm, but if you ask what you can do, I wouldn't have said, "Please clean my bathroom." It was more meaningful when my friend showed up, stormed through my protest, and cleaned my bathroom and then left. Drop off dinner with out asking what they want. They only thing they want is their loved one back, thinking about dinner is the last thing on their mind. Play with their kids. Mow their lawn. Replant flowers.
10. LOVE. If you love someone, and expect nothing in return, you can't go wrong. There has been so many acts of love and kindness to our family. It was physically and emotionally impossible to thank everyone, and express how much we appreciated them. But I knew that they didn't expect that, and it made the acts even more appreciated. Love is the only thing that can lessen the pain, and by expressing your love with acts and words of kindness, you will make a difference.
(I will eventually post a more detailed guide of what to do for a family in the hospital, and other things that are hard to know, unless you have been through it. )
Saturday, August 4, 2012
"What do I say?"
Posted by
Ani
at
2:05 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


20 comments:
Thanks for sharing this. I think most people are filled with good intentions, but are so worried about offending or doing the wrong thing they fail to act in any way...which is probably worse! It's good to "hear" from you Ani. I hope you are having a summer filled with Ruby Days.
I hope a lot of people remember this advice!
Hey thanks ani. Its so hard to know what's best.
Amen.
I know you probably never meant to make your life so public. I think about you and your family often. About Ruby's cute cheerful personality and her legacy. About your talents in sharing the gospel with others and being so firm in your testimony. I recently became a mom-he's 5 months old. And it's awesome.
I'm inspired by your stories and love for your girls. I know you'll see Ruby again. You have done and continue to do great work in building the kingdom. Thank you for sharing your stories of love, growth, hardship, and devotion. I appreciate you. Keep up the eternal perspective. And remember that you are a daughter of God. :)
You must have read my mind. One of my closest friends just had a stillborn baby. Since she is on the other side of the country makes things harder. But I do I really appreacite this post!! You are so amazing. Your blog helps me to remember to enjoy this time in life. And to act upon the promptings to serve. Thank you for opening your heart to us!
Love this post :) thank you!!
It is inspiring to watch you give such good advice. I began to follow your blog a few days before Ruby passed away. I went to the funeral and brought my then four month old daughter with me. At the time, I was grieving the sudden loss of my sister. To watch you grow from this has been encouraging. I honestly can't comprehend the pain you've endured. I have indeed felt compelled to cherish each precious moment more than before because of Ruby. Thank you.
Thanks for posting this, my brother and his wife are about to go through a very similar experience as you and your husband did with Ruby, it helps to know how to help them with the coping and hard days ahead. Thanks again!
this is beautiful and I wish everyone knew these wonderful pieces of advice. Thank you so very much for including those of us that have lost a child during pregnancy... you and your beautiful Ruby are a bright light in a sometimes dark world!!
Wonderful advice. I had a miscarriage when I was three months pregnant and felt as if a majority of people felt like I should be over it a week later. I didn't really have any support whatsoever, not even a friend to come over and chat. I love reading your blog. Ruby has taught me more in her short life than most people will teach in 40 years. God bless you & your family.
This is truly an amazing post that many are grateful to hear as well as me. When you haven't lost someone in that why it is hard to know what to do and say. I felt that way for awhile with Kelly until I realized that it was okay to talk about Hayden, that she needed to be talked about.
You truly amaze me with the person you are. I have thought about telling you this may times and never have but thought I should now. I am in awe of your testimony, love for our Savior and desire to be at the temple. I know you have gone many times including your date nights. I never go and have no excuse. Its your faith that makes me want to be a better person and do the things that I know I should. I know I am not a very open person but want you to know that I love you with all my heart and think about RUBY all the time. She is a precious gift from God that was meant to be shared with the world.
Thank you for posting this.
My loss is different, but it helps to know that I'm not as crazy as I sometimes feel.
I like to talk about my dad all the time, because he's my dad! He always will be, and just because I can't physically have him in this life any more, doesn't make him any less special. I find when I talk about him, a lot of people try to change the subject, or quickly end the conversation, and it hurts.
I want to remember him, I want others to know about him - for me, talking about him makes him feel a little closer. So it really cuts when this happens.
Again, thank you for sharing.
You are such an inspiration, Ani! I love little Ruby and wish I had the opportunity to meet her. Can't imagine the pain you still endure ... may God bless you and continue to shower you with His comfort and peace. Thank you for sharing this.
Heather Maloney
Palmyra, VA
I have not experienced much loss so I appreciate you sharing how to deal with loss when it comes to a loved one or friend. I hope to remeber well your advice and use it. I know I have shared it before, but I am so thankful for coming across your blog and being insprired by Ruby. I was so scared to become a donor, but after reading her story I felt such peace and comfort that helped me to follow the link and sign up. SO thank you Miss Ruby for inspiring me to become a donor and for inspiring me to be a better mother.
This post was so perfect. Just what I needed to read this morning. I feel for you, send prayers and heart-comforting thoughts to your family all the time. I lost my mom at the end of last year and I have felt the devastation and the sadness of feeling alone or like your loved one is forgotten. These words are so perfect. Sending you lots of love. Your beautiful Ruby has touched so many lives.
What a wonderful thing to share Ani. Really wonderful. I especially loved #1, #6 and #9 and hope the people who tend to do #6 read this;)
Thank you so very much for this post. I have been struggling with a few things that are going on right now in my life and this post has helped me out.
When I was pregnant with my 4 child another lady here in town ( its a very very small town, everyone knows everyone) was also pregnant with a baby and we were due within a month of each other. This lady has had an extremely hard time getting pregnant and so we were all very excited when she announced that she was expecting. Well things turned for the worse and her baby was not doing well inside her. He was born on Oct 12, 2009 and died that very same day. My daughter was born on Nov. 12, 2009 and she will be turning 3. Now my problem is, this same lady will be my little girls pre-school teacher and I have struggled on how to act or say things around her. I guess I just feel so very bad that her little boy is not here. I find myself wondering how she feels, but I don't dare ask.
So again, thank you so much for this post.
Love, A reader from Utah
http://www.hopesmilingbrightly.com/
Thank you so much for this. This is so helpful. I have just discovered your blog from pinterest. Thank you for your courage to grieve online. And thank you for sharing your precious Ruby with us. I look forward to following your blog.
Post a Comment