I am taking advantage of all my mama readers out there, yet again. Tips and advice appreciated.
1. All the sippy cups I have bought- LEAK or she hates them.
2. We are taking swim lessons, and she just freaks when I dunk her. Do I keep doing it? She has to learn right? But I don't want her to be scared of getting in the water everytime! I might have to call Dr. Laura about this one.
3. All of a sudden she only wants one nap! Are the two-a-days already over?
4. Baby Einstein's signing video is getting a little old. Any good ones to suggest?
5. She won't drink milk out of anything but a bottle. WHY?! I am so over those things.
6. She has started waking up at night. Whyyyyy?!
7. Does your heart eventually just burst? I love her more and more everyday..how is it possible!?
1. All the sippy cups I have bought- LEAK or she hates them.
2. We are taking swim lessons, and she just freaks when I dunk her. Do I keep doing it? She has to learn right? But I don't want her to be scared of getting in the water everytime! I might have to call Dr. Laura about this one.
3. All of a sudden she only wants one nap! Are the two-a-days already over?
4. Baby Einstein's signing video is getting a little old. Any good ones to suggest?
5. She won't drink milk out of anything but a bottle. WHY?! I am so over those things.
6. She has started waking up at night. Whyyyyy?!
7. Does your heart eventually just burst? I love her more and more everyday..how is it possible!?


14 comments:
Have you tried the Nuk sippy cup? Daylynn loved it, because the sippy part is soft (like a bottle). You might want to try using that as a transition to the bottle. Otherwise, I like the gerber ones. They haven't had a problem leaking. As far as naps go, Day phased in and out of wanting one to two naps a day until she was 17 months. I tried multiple times to go to one nap, but then she would be too tired to keep her up until noon. Try one nap and if it doesn't work go back to two for a little longer. It just depends on the baby though. Hope that helps a little.
Signing time should be the only signing videos! They are the best. Come over and borrow a few. I have 22 of them.
#1 & #5: My son took a bottle so much that he hated sippy cups. It was harder to wean him from the bottle than breast feeding. I used Avent and Gerber Beginner sippy cups. Now he's older I love the Gerber cups that change colors.
#3: Probably so. Logan takes one REALLY long afternoon nap. I've learned to love them and we have more fun going to the park, etc. in the mornings.
#6: Teething? We used to give Logan a dose of Tylenol before bed and it helped him.
#7: It hasn't...yet. But now I have 2. I could be in trouble.
I was so nervous when I knew it was time to switch to one nap a day instead of two, but Kyle was actually a happier baby and it made running errands easier! I had until one every day to be out of the house. I think Kyle uses the Nuk sippies and if you put the stopper in they don't leak.
I taught swim lessons for 5 years. I say keep doing it. Maybe back off on dunking her under. She might not be ready. Make it a fun experience for her. Play with toys, show her how you go under the water, blow bubbles, ease her in to it. But keep her in the water! I plan to teach my kids to swim as soon as they can walk. I'm all about water safety. :)
#4 Lucy and I love to go the library and check out a video to watch. We like the Sesame Street ones personally. It's great: you get a little field trip in, a free video and you can return it before it gets too old.
#1 I noticed from her b-day pics, we use the same sippy cups and I am totally in the same boat as you-HATE it!
1. thomas either won't drink out of one at all (never has liked them much) or finds a way to make them leak when he does...even when they are "leak proof." he sometimes just bites holes in the silicon ones. it's insane!
3. we were down to one nap, and now he takes two naps almost every day...and he's almost two. go figure.
4. signing time is great. i know a little girl that can sign SO well, all from signing time every morning before school.
6. night terrors? we have had a few of those.
7. i stil feel like mine will burst. he gets sweeter and cuter by the second...somehow.
sincerely, your creepy blog-stalker, kayla.
ps. what kind of camera do you have? thomas drenched mine in diet coke, so i am on the market for a fancy new one.
1. have you tried the gerber cups with the straw? those have been my favorites, and sipping out of a straw is better for kids' mouths than sucking out of a sippy cup anyway. mine have never leaked.
2. i say back off on the dunking until she loves swimming so much that she won't mind it. i don't know that that is the right answer, but that is what i would do. george loves LOVES the water so much that he doesn't mind getting dunked here and there, but we haven't done lessons yet.
3. george transitioned to one nap around 14-15 months. at first i was totally bummed about it, but then realized how much more i can get done without having to be home at two different times for naps.
4. we haven't really done videos much. george does like the occasional show on playhouse disney or noggin, but he never really liked baby einstein's to begin with so i don't really have any suggestions here.
5. again, no help here. we never did bottles, but george doesn't really like milk anyway. i just make sure he gets enough yogurt, cottage cheese etc. to compensate.
6. i hate that. i think babies just continually go through changes and phases, but as long as we were consistent with george he always went back to his normal sleeping patterns within a few days.
7. it's amazing how much your heart grows into being a mommy, huh? i sometimes can't believe the love that a tiny person can bring into a home. kate is so squishy in that top picture i can't stand it. she is seriously to die for.
So I know I'm a ways behind you in parenting, but here's some ideas both from me and from some of my friends.
1. Koryn uses the Playtex sippy cups and I have no issues from them. However, Kate may be past these.
2. I have yet to dunk Koryn, but I have friends who wish they would have. I say do it occasionally and see what happens. My parents did it with me and my siblings and are very happy they did.
3. Koryn has only ever taken 1 nap a day. I think I prefer this for the reasons everybody said above, but I also feel like I can get more done when she takes 1 long nap rather than 2 short ones.
4. Signing time videos are amazing! If you have satellite TV and DVR episodes occasionally come on and you can see how she likes them. I am now an ASL interpreter for my Stake here and Signing Time are my favorite ASL videos.
5. Does she love drinking milk? If she does then only offer it to her in a sippy cup. Before long she will realize that if she wants it she has to take a sippy cup. In the mean time supplement with more yogurt and cheese for the nutrition.
6. Teething? Try orajel or tylenol. Koryn did this when her two bottom teeth were coming in.
7. I feel the same way! I hope it just continually grows and never bursts!
Sorry for the long response! Let me know how it goes. (I often check your blog for advice) :)
I have a favorite kind of sippy cups. I'll e-mail them to you.
I hate the whole dunking thing. I make Christian do it. I say keep it up with the mommy and me, and then let the teacher in Tiny Tots do it once she's a little older.
There are good and bad things about transitioning from one nap to two. I just figure it's part of life so get used to it. She's a little early to do it but even Shea is acting like she's ready to switch. She'll probably be the same age as Kate when we do.
Have you tried the other Einstein videos? Ava still watches some of them... Van Gogh, Newton, and the Language one?
I remember when Ava turned 10 months she starting just waking up in the middle of the night. She'd been sleeping 12 hours since she was 8 weeks! I guess they just go through phases. It could totally be teething or maybe she's growing.
Good luck friend!
i don't know you but, i wanted to help out with the sippy cup situation...my son would not take a sippy for the life of him..until, we tried the NUK sippys. I notice that they do leak from time to time but, for the most part they are great. He'll drink from any sippy now but, to get started that's what we went with.
Our doctor said to just have the sippy in front of him (in your case her) empty and eventually she will go towards it. If she doesn't see a bottle she'll forget they ever existed.
My son went from two naps to one a day as well and then eventually he realized that nap time was fun so he's back to two..hopefully it's just a temporary thing and then she'll go back to two!
and fyi..i love your blog..my son thinks your daughter is so darn cute he just gets the biggest smile on his face when he sees her.
you are such a good mommy.
Elizabeth-
Thanks for your comment and advice. I am going to try it! Do you have a blog?
oh, I'm so behind... lucky for me, Kaden's doctor told me to never use a bottle b/c it's one less thing to get them off of so neither one of them used a bottle! just good to know with your next one... we use the NUK and it's been great for both of my kiddos!
ok here is my two cents:
1. i use the playtex sippy cups from walmart...they are a harder plastic so that got some getting used to but andrew loves them now and they don't usually spill. or i like the Nuk brand too.
2. not sure about this one. andrew used to be afraid of the tub and then everytime he would act scared i would react like like super cheesy "wow this is so fun!!!" kind of stuff and then he eventually started going along with it. maybe that will work??
3. andrew stopped taking two naps a couple months ago. he is 19 months now...i can't remember the age difference between him and kate..but yes a very sad day.
4. andrew still loves baby einstein but i randomly bought an Elmo video and now he is ADDICTED. all day long he says he wants elmo. maybe kate will like that...they are educational too so i like that.
5. so funny andrew did the exact same thing. i put chocolate milk in the sippy and stopped using the bottle and he loved it and then i slowly started dilluting the chocolate milk with regular milk. it worked!
6. shoot don't know about that one. maybe she is growing.
7. my heart bursts everyday!!
Post a Comment