I have not loved the changing of the season. I knew it meant it was just that much further away from us seeing her, and that upset me, but I knew it was something more than that.
This morning, I was pulling out to take Kate to preschool, and the leaves were being racked up in my front yard. At that moment, I knew. Those leaves were leaves that Kate, Ruby and I laid under during the hot summer. Those are the leaves that shaded us in our backyard planting while Ruby sat in her bouncy. Those are the leaves that she watched while laying on the couch. Those are the very leaves that we walked under when I took her outside to get her to stop fussing. It took a lot for me not to run over and explain just how precious those leaves were to me.
We have big, tall windows in our family room. We moved in this winter, and the trees were bare. I remember coming home from a 2 week stay in the hospital in the Spring, and the trees had tiny light green buds all over. It was symbolic for a lot of things for me. It seemed like every time we would return after a hospital stay, the leaves were the first thing we noticed. They were always greener, always bigger. Maybe since my baby was getting weaker, and sicker, perhaps that was a little hope for me. I don't know, but I have an attachment to those leaves!
At the park the other day, I had the same feeling. We spent a lot of time at that park. I sat on the bench, under the trees, nursing, and watching Kate play. The leaves will all fall. And new leaves will come. But those leaves have never watched us play. Those leaves have never seen those sparkly blue eyes. They have never created the shade that danced across her face. They aren't hers.
I know this must sound so strange. But, it is how I feel.
I feel the same way when I toss out food I bought when Rubes was with me at the grocery store. Or when I emptied the bottle of shampoo I used at the hospital. Even buying a new shirt, I feel like, Ruby never got to see this shirt! I guess these are all just signs that life moves on. The leaves change. Food goes bad. Who knew those things could be such a trigger?
I would be forever content rewinding to those hot summer days, laying under the trees with my girls.
This morning, I was pulling out to take Kate to preschool, and the leaves were being racked up in my front yard. At that moment, I knew. Those leaves were leaves that Kate, Ruby and I laid under during the hot summer. Those are the leaves that shaded us in our backyard planting while Ruby sat in her bouncy. Those are the leaves that she watched while laying on the couch. Those are the very leaves that we walked under when I took her outside to get her to stop fussing. It took a lot for me not to run over and explain just how precious those leaves were to me.
We have big, tall windows in our family room. We moved in this winter, and the trees were bare. I remember coming home from a 2 week stay in the hospital in the Spring, and the trees had tiny light green buds all over. It was symbolic for a lot of things for me. It seemed like every time we would return after a hospital stay, the leaves were the first thing we noticed. They were always greener, always bigger. Maybe since my baby was getting weaker, and sicker, perhaps that was a little hope for me. I don't know, but I have an attachment to those leaves!
At the park the other day, I had the same feeling. We spent a lot of time at that park. I sat on the bench, under the trees, nursing, and watching Kate play. The leaves will all fall. And new leaves will come. But those leaves have never watched us play. Those leaves have never seen those sparkly blue eyes. They have never created the shade that danced across her face. They aren't hers.
I know this must sound so strange. But, it is how I feel.
I feel the same way when I toss out food I bought when Rubes was with me at the grocery store. Or when I emptied the bottle of shampoo I used at the hospital. Even buying a new shirt, I feel like, Ruby never got to see this shirt! I guess these are all just signs that life moves on. The leaves change. Food goes bad. Who knew those things could be such a trigger?
I would be forever content rewinding to those hot summer days, laying under the trees with my girls.



32 comments:
The way you feel makes perfect sense. Those leaves were Ruby's leaves. I come her often to see how you are doing, and I simply cannot imagine. I am so sorry for your family's, and the world's, loss.
Ani, this is an amazing post. Of course, those are her leaves. It is not fair, in any way, that those things all go on, that the world goes on, without Ruby Jane. You are doing the best you can, and you write about your feelings so beautifully. I raise you, again, in prayer.
EJ, www.thesearemyreasons.blogspot.com
so beautifully written. you make sense. may your angel be with you in spirit every day.
Takes those leaves and laminate them, they will always be leaves that don't ever go away.
Your thoughts are beautiful and it's normal to feel this way about certain things that remind you of a person. She's your angel. You should press those leaves and frame them. They are a very special remembrance.
Janet
Ani, I wish there was something I could do to easy your pain...to bring her back to your arms and to make your life "normal" again. You and Matt have such a sweet family. I know there is a plan for each of us, and I know someday we'll realize this life was just a blink of the eye, but that sure doesn't make the pain and heartache you're enduring now disappear, does it? My prayers are with you still...every single day. And maybe the new leaves won't remember Ruby, but I will and so will the thousands of others whose lives she touched.
I got my photo of Ruby and pink bracelet today; thank you. I will keep them in a special place and always remember sweet Ruby.
I needed to read your blog today. I found myself feeling sorry for myself. How silly I feel now. Thanks for being such an inspiration. And thanks to Ruby for inspiring so much love and joy in this world. She continues to change the way I think about life and I never knew her. I am a nanny to a baby Ruby's age. I think of her often. Thanks again for sharing your story with people who don't even know you. I know I speak for many when I say, we really appreciate your openness and sincerity.
It all makes sense my heart grieves for you sweet lady it will be ok. I know that it doesnt seem that way, how can life ever move on why your missing a piece of yourself the world will never look the same, I am so sorry for this, this isn't how it is supposed to be. It is so unfair. Please know my family and I lift you all in our prayers,
God bless
Siobhan
I wish there was some way that I could keep those leaves on your trees forever. I never realized how painful the changing of seasons could be for someone. I wish you didn't have to feel this pain. My heart is just aching for you.
What a heartfelt, painful yet beautiful post to read. And I can't imagine how you wrote it. I've lost 2 people who meant the world to me and I remember feeling that exact same way then and even now, 10 years later. You just want to hold on to something shared and familiar, that connects you to them physically. I'm so sorry.
It all makes sense. I had moments after my miscarriages like that - like, I used this shampoo when I was still pregnant... your words sounded so familiar. I know it's different, of course, but I can relate on some level. I got my picture of sweet Ruby Jane today. She is on my fridge. My heart feels simultaneously happy and grief-stricken every time I see it. She is so gorgeous and joyful, I can't help but smile...and then I remember that she is gone, and I get sad. You write so beautifully. You are always not far from my mind - thinking of you, hun....
I don't think it seems strange but think it makes sense and is a beautiful expression and description of your feelings...as always. Maybe you could gather a few of the leaves to save, dried in a book or someplace special that you will always be able to see Ruby's leaves.
Love and prayers always,
Sarah
Ani,
Your words, your writing...they are priceless...your amazing writer, amazing mother, amazing daughter of God, and most important amazing example to each of us. I have a picture of Ruby on my fridge...she's the first person I see and the last person I see before i go to bed. She's an example that keeps me going, when sometimes i feel like giving up. But she was a fighter, and I know through her example i can get through each day. I love Ruby. I cant wait to meet her one day and tell her thank you for coming to this world even though it was only a short time, she has changed my life forever. I keep praying for you Ani and your family.
love amber floyd
I have never lost a child so I do not know what you are going through, but for some reason I can relate to what you say. Your writing makes me feel like it is happening to me. You are amazing!! I often think of you and Ruby.
Hi amazing Ani! Just remember that it was the branches that made those leaves and they will always be there and remember with gratitude the beautiful service they provided your sweet family. The branches will remind the new leaves of the beautiful legacy of the leaves before them and they will continue to shade your family in love and reverance for seasons to come. Much love, Emily:)
Ani, I can not express in words how my heart aches daily for you and Matt. I am so thankful that you update your blog. The way you write is beautiful. I will do my best to always keep Ruby's memory alive. She influenced so many in the short time she had on earth.
I know that feeling all too well! When our Michael died (6days old from Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome) Everything he touched and everything I wore was precious to me. I have the pillow(that is flat)I had in the hospital when I gave birth to him that should be thrown away but I sleep with it every night. I lost one my pearl earings I wore in one of the photos I have of us together and and it sent me over the edge!!
We are coming up on his 11th Brithday on Dec 18th...this time of year is VERY hard for me. But I smile,laugh, and appreciate life more as time goes by! I know that he sits at the feet of jesus and has no more pain!!!
I think of your sweet Ruby everyday!
Much love from a blog stalker
Teri
The new leaves that will grow in the spring will be gifts from Ruby for you and your family to play under. Every miracle of life is now a gift from your perfect angel, Ruby. She is with you (in your heart and in your spirit) every breath of all of your days from here until you are reunited!
When we love so deeply, those we love take up so many details of who we are. I am grateful you are able to love Ruby so much.
such heavy and beautiful thoughts and words, ani. still thinking and praying for your family all of the time. xoxo
I was just thinking of your sweet Ruby yesterday when I opened my mailbox to find the picture I received of her beautiful face. As soon as I opened it I prayed over your family as I will do every single day as I walk out the front door. I put it right by my front door so I will see it every day as well as my children I will never stop praying for your family.
Such a profound and heartfelt post. Makes perfect sense to me, and I have never experienced the loss that you have.
I continue to pray for you all. Thank you for sharing your heart with so many.
Ani, I dont know you, I have followed your blog thru Sara Hulls blog. I love my sweet husband 5 years ago very suddenly at the ago of just 36. One thing that seems to help me is from the movie Ghost. With Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze. He says at the end "The love you have in your heart goes with you" I dont know why this helps my pain even now 5 years after his death it just does. Know that you and your sweet family are in my thoughts and prayers often.
Rosanne Perry
El Paso, Texas
Hi Ani, your blog was shared with me by a friend, and I have been praying for you all since I first read about sweet Ruby. I just wanted to say that I understand exactly what you are saying. I have those same feelings regarding my Granny. I got very little when she passed, and that makes what I do have of her that much more special. I can't get rid of any of it. And, even though those new leaves don't know Ruby, those trees will never forget her. Thank you for sharing your story. Your entire family is an inspiration. God Bless.
I'm totally sentimental in the same way. Maybe you should save and frame a couple of those leaves. That could be a sweet tribute to Ruby.
I would feel the exact same way. I would absolutely collect some and frame them or make them into a framed picture somehow..not sure how to preserve them but I bet there is a way. love to you and your family
I do the same thing when I am sad and missing something I always think, the last time I wore this I was there, or a year ago I was doing this, etc.
This is a beautiful post. The trees will remember her. Trees are wise and have long memories.
Save some of the leaves! Even though your most precious Ruby is gone, there is nothing wrong with trying to hold on to a few of the precious things that remind you of her sweetness.
I know you don't know me, and I don't know you, and I hope you're not weirded out that I follow your blog, but I came across your story two days before little Ruby passed away. My husband wonders why I follow when it is just so sad; but I feel like I kind of owe it to you and your family and the struggle you are facing. You are having such trials! There should be so many people to witness it and bear testimony of you, your strength, and God's love through it all.
i have been meaning to comment about this since i read this post a few days ago, and i don't know why i haven't! anyway, did you know you can dip leaves in wax to preserve them? i did it once when the leaves were changing and i wanted to save a few. anyway. maybe you knew that, but if not...that is a way you could save a few and they would last. just an idea. and thank you for sharing your thoughts. this is so sweet and heartfelt and i'm so grateful for you for sharing it. we are still praying for you and your sweet family.
Dear Ani, I cry and cry every time I read your blog. I think of you and your prescious Ruby very often, and pray for you. Only what I can say is that everything happens in GOD'S perfect time, not ours. He placed her in a beautiful, loving and caring family like your's is, cause he knew you'll be able to handle all the obstacles, like you did.Now you have an angel who watches over you, and despite the fact she's gone-she still does so many good, changes unknow hearts all over the world! and one thing is sure-my heart is much bigger now, because there's one more beautiful child in it, just besides my sons.
I'm re-reading this post, because it speaks so deeply to me. I think of you and pray for you and your family often. I know we've never met but I began reading your blog. And While your sweet Ruby was getting sicker, so was my sweet mom. I feel connected to your story and reflected so much on the changing of seasons since my mother's passing. I ache to hit rewind too. Just wanting you to know that you are thought of and cared for.
Post a Comment