Tuesday, November 3, 2009

It's not all fun and games.


Last night the real parenting began.
Parenting? Seriously. Was I not just a child, like two minutes ago? Kate has been testing the limits this past week, to put it nicely. She throws her food, she screams when she wants something, and might have hit me once or twice. We decided before we had kids, that we would not be relaxed in our discipline. But...how do you discipline a 17 month old in a loving way? In my opinion, she is old enough to learn when something is wrong. She has already learned that there are some things she is not allowed to play with, and she does a great job obeying. She understands what "no" means.
So, last night, after throwing her food on the ground, she was helping to pick it up, and then threw a huge fit. So I scooped her up, and put her on a stool in her room. She knew it was a punishment and cried even harder. Once out of her sight, Matt and I looked at each other and started laughing so hard.
We don't know what we are doing!
Any advice?

Sincerely,
Me

p.s. After about 10 seconds, I went and got her and she picked up those green beans! But I think it was just a fluke.

4 comments:

Katie said...

All I can say is I was SOOOO much better at disciplining my students than I am at disciplining my own children. Good luck!

ellen said...

I knew you were going to say you started laughing!

Tim and Jennifer said...

Oh man I start laughing too. Sometimes though I want to cry. At that age it's hard because I don't think time out really works for a few more months, but I would put Kyle in his crib when he was really bad.

Danica Osborn said...

haha, it's so individualized, but i think you handleed it beautifully. the food throwing satge was short lived in our house, b/c as soon as anything went over intentionally she was pulled out of her hight chair and the meal was over (i think our girls are similar in that they're motivated by food so it was highly effective). she went to bed hungry-ish two nights and then it was done! worked like a charm!

and i think a "time out" stool or naughty spot is a great idea. we used the bottom stair with claire.

you HAVE to read love and logic!!! but i say you're doing a great job so far!!! here's to many more years of disciplining our kiddos. :)