In the first weeks, and months her absence was seen everywhere. Swing in the corner, binkies in my purse, bottles in the dishwasher, stained onsies in the hamper. Not only was her absence seen everywhere, but it was felt constantly, all day long. In that first week or two, several times during the day, my breasts would quickly sting, and I would think, "Time to nurse!" only to realize there was no baby to nurse. I remember waking up and thinking it was odd I had not heard her cry yet. Only to realize I would never hear that cry again. After I tuck Kate in at night, I longingly stare at Ruby's crib
while lingering in the doorway. I used to walk in there, looking for a
baby to re-swaddle for the night. When she was here, I was use to getting sleep when it might come, and once I was awake in the morning, I hit the ground running. Meds, TPN, nursing, naps, diapers, Kate, baths, doctor appointments, etc, etc. In the weeks after she left, it was so quiet. I didn't know what to do with myself. So much of who I was, was burried with my daughter. The daughter and sister that our family had adored more than anything, and centered our life around, was gone. She was so obviously gone.
Those feelings and thoughts of forgetting she is gone have mostly subsided, so it surprised me the other day when those familiar feelings pained my heart once more. It was a Sunday afternoon. Kate was taking a nap for the first time in months. I was waking up from my own nap on the couch and looked at my husband still snoozing. The trees were blowing outside, and the thought of what a perfectly happy Sunday afternoon it was, crossed my mind. In my mind's eye I saw Kate and Ruby both napping, knew Matt would be asleep for awhile, and I was content to start browsing my recipes for a dinner idea. It occured to me that she was gone, almost the exact second that I forget and thought she was still here.
A few minutes later I was standing over a steaming pot, mindlessly stirring its contents, when I happen to glance at the time, and again, I forgot. I was just about to say, "Hey Matt, can you go get Ruby up from her nap." It surprised me. It surprised me, and it hurt, and I am sure my dinner was a little extra salty from some rogue tears, but I was also happy. I am happy that her presence is felt so strongly, that it practically feels like she never left at moments. I savor that feeling. I savor the feeling that she is here, that she is still part of this family, forever.
As unpleasant as it is to forget and then remember that my child has passed away, that second of forgetting is pretty amazing.



14 comments:
I just wanted to say I enjoy your writing and appreciate you giving us a glimpse into your world. Thank you.
I haven't cried over your posts for so long, Ani. I enter your blog every day and re-read it over and over again. I love the way you were describing your life a few years ago, you seemed so carefree and cheerful. Then you became a mother and your posts started to be more serious and mature, although still full of sense of humour I just love! The 'Ruby part' of blog I read the most often. Even yesterday, when I thought I was resistant to sadness of your present writing. Now I know I'm not tough enogh to read it without being dejected and shattered. I miss the old witty you, although I know she is gone with your daughter. I just hope you can catch a glimpse of peace and joy of life someday and you will share it with us on your blog.
Thank you for writing so eloquently, and sharing your journey. I do believe it helps me to be a more compassionate, thoughtful and grateful person and mom. And Ruby's face is still on my fridge, because she will never be forgotten in my home. I know that you will always have moments where you feel she is right there with you and seem to forget she has passed away...and I also know that that is only proof of how deeply she is a part of you and your family, and always will be. Always thinking of you...
Your perspective and outlook and love for your family are absolutely amazing. My heart goes out to you :)
My heart is with you and you and your family continue to be in my prayers. I too have had these moments when I forget my mom's recent passing, it's different than a child but knowing this kind of pain in loss helps me feel more compassion for others and love on my baby girl more each day.
Beautiful. Thank you for sharing your honest feelings with us all. It helps us help those suffering.
My heart goes out to you...it aches and swells along with your words.
Love this. Makes me very thankful for the life I have...problems, good, bad, etc...we need to look for the BLESSINGS.
I'm glad you can have these sweet moments.
That was so beautifully written. I too would savor those moments and hold them dear to my heart. I too believe that she is around you often, waiting to be reunited and always letting you know of her love.
ani i love you!!!
i'm praying for you, rooting for you, thinking of you. always!
So eloquent. Thank you!
Ani you're amazing! I am happy you had those moments, as she is and will forever be yours. Loves.
Ani, my own baby girl is the same age as Ruby. Every night as I rock her before bed I think about Ruby and her story. I am reminded all over again of the great privilege and blessing it is to be a mother. I thank God for giving me another day to hold my kids and laugh with them. Life changes so quickly; I don't want to waste a single moment. Thank you for continuing to share your thoughts and experiences with everyone, even though I think you tend to be a bit more of a private person. You have influenced so many lives for better.
Ani~
I hardly ever comment but felt compelled to tell you how special your family is. You're a wonderful, loving, joyful mother. . . those lucky girls.
Ruby and Kate are so beautiful. I can only imagine how much you must miss Ruby, Those months spent with you must have been baby bliss for Ruby. You loved her so well, you guys fought for her so much. You did everything imaginable.
Ruby lives on of course, but, she also lives on with me, a total stranger who multiple times per week chooses to take more moments to love my children more. I do that and think of you, of her and how I can be better.
Sending you much love.
Jamie
Post a Comment