Monday, December 20, 2010

A few weekend ago we attended a live nativity put on by our church. It was a blustery night, but we decided to go anyway. We rushed out the door, raced down the road, fought for a parking spot, and ran through the rain to make it in time. As we stood in the pouring rain, I was thinking about how cold and wet we were, and not much else. Then, Mary appeared and I instantly was overcome with emotion. I couldn't help but to cry. Matt probably thought I was crazy.

Being so large and pregnant this holiday season, I had mostly just thought about myself, and how busy we have been and how uncomfortable I have been feeling. It was night I realized how close in size I probably was to Mary. I have always loved learning about her, and how she must have been such a strong and courageous woman. But, this season, I have felt particularly emotional about her as a mother. Not just the mother of our Savior, but a mother of that sweet baby.

She must have had the same thoughts and emotions of bring a new baby into the world that I feel. The same fears, and same excitements. But, as the program went on the wise men, and the sheppards appeared, again, my emotions were out of control. She must have known what was in store for her sweet baby. And that night, must have really solidified, he was not only hers, but the worlds. That, I can't imagine.

Can you even begin to grasp the feelings in that stable on that night? I think about when Kate was born in our sterile hospital room, Matt and I crying as we held our new baby. A quiet precious moment. And Mary and Joseph, in a dirty stable, holding their tiny infant for themselves, before they were to share him in the world, with us.

I am so thankful for Mary, and for Joseph, and their great courage and faith. I am thankful for my Savior this season, and every season. He teaches us, he guides us, he comforts us, he loves us, and most importantly, he saves us. Oh, how I love him, and am forever in his debt.

5 comments:

Katie said...

Such sweet thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

Brooke Trogdon said...

Oh my gosh Ani, you have put into words EXACTLY how I've been feeling this Christmas. I've been running around just doing tasks and really struggling to feel the Christmas spirit. But when I think of Mary and her loving feelings for her baby boy who I'm sure she knew would be persecuted and loved all at the same time. I cannot imagine the feelings. I am such a mother bear with Evan and I can only fathom how she must have felt. Especially giving birth in the stable.

Thank you for sharing, it's exactly how I'm feeling too.

Cher said...

Ani as always I'm uplifted by reading your blog. I LOVE this post. So perfect. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas!

Anonymous said...

holy cow. this is awesome. thank you so much for sharing. i loved it. what a great reminder. thank you.

Becky said...

i read this talk (below) my first christmas with adeline, and again read it now with my baby boy. the middle to end is my favorite. i'm sure u will be able to relate on many different levels. thanks for sharing. enjoy!

http://lds.org/ensign/1977/12/maybe-christmas-doesnt-come-from-a-store?lang=eng&noLang=true&path=/ensign/1977/12/maybe-christmas-doesnt-come-from-a-store