I feel like we are right on the cusp of something great. We have suffered the loss of so much over the past two years, and I feel like we are finally being given a tangible blessing. There has been many spiritual blessings, but it seems as though the physical blessings of our life keep slipping through our hands.
Our third daughter is due to be born in 4 days. It has been a very long, expensive, emotional, and just flat out hard road getting to this point. There was a time that we were told we would not be able to have any more children. I remember the exact moment when our doctor called to tell us that. I remember driving around one day, when I thought of a perfect baby girl name, and then fell apart thinking I may never get to use that name. I also remember the exact moment when another doctor told us it would still be possible to have more children.
I can't believe that we have gotten all the way to this point. I love to think about Ruby preparing her baby sister to enter into our family. Preparing room mentally and physically for another child, especially another daughter has been very emotionally charged. I kept pushing off "nesting". Up until about a month ago, I had no even bought this baby one thing! I think the walls that I have built to protect my heart were so strong, that it was hard to even want to let this new baby in. The last time I did all of this baby stuff, the outcome was so traumatic and heartbreaking, that it has been hard to convince my heart that it will be different this time.
I had been praying so hard to feel prepared. To feel the right amount of excitement, and worry. Praying to let my walls down, and really accept we are having another baby, and that she will be healthy. It just seemed too good to be true, after everything. Shortly after my pleading, we had a very special spiritual experience, an undeniable sign from our Ruby, that changed everything. I realized that Ruby doesn't care if her room is changed. She doesn't care if I finally wipe the Tylenol smudges off her dresser, or pack away some of her things. She is excited for our family to welcome another baby, and I know that she wanted me to bask in the joy that a newborn brings.
I was able to finally change her room. I kept walking in the nursery, and then walking right back out. Late one night I asked my husband to go in with me. We started in her top drawer, where her size 1 diapers were perfectly arranged, and never used. I had opened the drawer a lot of over the past 2 years. Those diapers made my heart hurt. It made me angry that I put them in there with the intention of using them on my baby girl, and there they sat. But you know what? Men are wired a little different! He didn't' have an emotional connection to unused diapers! Thank goodness! So he moved the size 1's and replaced with with the Newborn size. I thought, "Ok, we are really doing this...I can do this!" We moved on to the next drawer, where her clothes were. The first outfit I picked up I buried my face in, and cried and cried. I could imagine all the times she had worn it. It made everything seem so recent. So real. So tangible. I am glad I had my strong and sweet husband there with me. He knew the outfit. He knew the pain. We carefully folded our favorite outfits and blankets of hers, and set them aside. It got easier and easier as we kept going throughout the night. I think that Ruby was there with us. The feeling in the room was so peaceful and happy and almost sacred. The next day Kate helped me remove Ruby's bedding, and wipe down the crib, and put the new bedding on. It was very therapeutic for our whole family to prepare this new room, for the new little sister and daughter that was making her way to us. Ruby's nursery is where I have gone to grief for her. It is where she has felt close. I was scared to change that space, losing that physical connection to her. But it still feels like her room, only she is sharing it with the new baby. I like walking in there and thinking about those sisters together.
We are ready for this baby girl to arrive. Ruby will never be replaced, but we are very excited to have a baby in the house again. Often people have tried to tell me that we will be healed, and this baby will make up for our loss. I know it is not true, but I do believe that the blessing of this sweet baby to our family, will fill our hearts with love and joy and happiness! We can't wait for Tuesday!
It's quiet in the nursery
Too quiet for my heart
Dust on the changing table
Toys unplayed with in the corner
I rock myself in your chair
Trying to remember your weight in my arms
If I close my eyes I can almost smell you
The memories of this room are sweet
Your little sister is nearly here
She grows beneath my broken heart
Making room for her has not been easy
You will no longer be my littlest baby
The missing is deep and the pain is real
Longing for you is part of my normal day
Wishing things were different
Too quiet for my heart
Dust on the changing table
Toys unplayed with in the corner
I rock myself in your chair
Trying to remember your weight in my arms
If I close my eyes I can almost smell you
The memories of this room are sweet
Your little sister is nearly here
She grows beneath my broken heart
Making room for her has not been easy
You will no longer be my littlest baby
The missing is deep and the pain is real
Longing for you is part of my normal day
Wishing things were different
Hoping its a bad dream
This nursery is quiet tonight
Soon it will be again filled with cries and giggles
As she grows beneath my broken heart, she is slowly healing me
This nursery is quiet tonight
Soon it will be again filled with cries and giggles
As she grows beneath my broken heart, she is slowly healing me
Your sister
I rock in your chair
Feeling the weight not in my arms, but in my womb
Her fluttery movements remind me life keeps going
Life keeps growing
Each day, experience, memory and ache
One day closer to you in my arms once again
A quiet nursery tonight
But only for a moment



33 comments:
Beautiful post! Thanks for sharing this. I was so touched by Ruby and her legacy, and even though I never met her, I think about her sometimes and I'm always inspired to try and be a better mother. You are an incredible person and I'm very happy for you and your family! Your new baby girl will be so beautiful and sweet just like Kate and Ruby! Congratulations!
I had a daughter stillborn almost 5 years ago. She now has a little sister. Your poem put into words some of my feelings. I sat here this morning bawling because you captured perfectly how it is. Thank you for sharing.
Would it be okay to republish it? You can email me at jeannelouise75@gmail.com
I can't wait to hear about your new daughter. I had no idea that on top of the heartache of losing Ruby that there was a chance you couldn't have more children. I'm so happy for your family and although you'll never heal completely from Ruby, your daughter will hopefully help you heal a little. Congrats. I will be praying for you. I look forward to many new updates!
I'm excited for your new baby -- in fact, just this week I looked bag in your blog to see when you were due. :) You are in my prayers.
Wow! I can't imagine how you're feeling right now. Congrats on the new baby!! Praying everything goes smoothly and can't wait to hear the name!!!
Thanks for sharing your story. I have a good friend that I am going to share the book, In His Hands with as well as your blog.
You guys are an amazing family that lives the gospel and sets a wonderful example to others. I am so happy for your newest addition! Congratulations!
This is a beautiful post. You look beautiful. I am so happy to hear that you are all doing well and are excited for this lil' angel. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings.
You exude so much quiet joy in that beautiful maternity shot. I can't wait to see pictures of this new precious girl, Kate and Ruby's little sister!
It must have been an extremely personal choice to share your story with the world, but I can assure you that so many of us are equally as grateful that you made that choice. I always look forward to your beautiful and touching insight, whatever the topic may be, and I am so happy for you and your family. Congratulations on your new baby girl! We can't wait to "meet" her!
ani you are so beautiful. congrats on your new baby! :)
Beautiful post! Your precious Ruby will ALWAYS be with you. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers as you embark on the next chapter in your lives. Such an exciting time for you all. I hope you will post pictures as soon as you can. I can't wait to read about the name you've chosen for your third daughter.
Blessings to you from Oklahoma.
Ani, this is such a heart-warming post! All the best for your baby daughter's arrival - keep us updated!! She will never replace Ruby as Ruby can't be replaced, instead she will be watching you from heaven, forever a part of your beautiful family.
www.ganglygiraffe.blogspot.co.uk
So so beautiful. Your family is never far from my mind and heart. Can't wait to "meet" the new little one!
Congrats on your new little one. We also have been told that more children (or any children) were not a possibility. Our little one will be here Tuesday as well.
What an amazing post. I am so happy for your family during this joyful time and feel so hopeful that at least some of your pain may be lessened with this newest addition. You have a beautiful family.
Ani,
I am so excited for your little one to arrive. As I read this post I felt so hopeful. I'm so happy for you and love that you have had some healing moments in preparing for your newest girl. I'll be thinking about you a lot in the next few days. Good luck!
Julie
I've bee waiting for this post. I'm so happy for you and your family. This new baby is so lucky to have you as a mom just as Ruby is. Best of luck on Tuesday. Can't wait to see pictures.
Thrilled for your beautiful family and for Ruby - a big sister! I know she's celebrating.
Ani - what a beautiful post. I have followed your family's story for years now, and check back often to see how your family is doing. I am so thrilled to see that the baby is due soon, you and your family so deserve the joy of a newborn. I wish you all nothing but the best and most beautiful days with this new little girl. Can't wait to see her pictures!
So incredibly excited for you all! Praying for you as this new precious angel joins your family!
Thank you so much for sharing that sweet and personal story of how Ruby is all around you preparing your hearts and home for her new little sister. So special. May many more blessings come your way.
I love you Ani and Matt - you are so wonderful to share your story, experiences, and love with all of us. I remember the days I was able to spend with you and Ruby so fondly in my life and I can't wait for this little love to join your family and our lives as well! Good luck today with the delivery - I have a feeling Ruby will be close by keeping watch:)
This is a beautiful post, you look beautiful. I will be keeping your all in my thoughts and prayers for safe and beautiful delivery. A friend in East Texas, Pam.
"I will not cause pain without allowing something new to be born." -Isaiah 66:9
<3
Ani, this is a beautiful post. I can only imagine all the feelings you've been going through as you prepare for this new baby girl. So glad we have spouses to help us along as you mentioned matt helped you with the nursery. I am so excited for you and your family. So very excited. Praying all goes well.
Love and prayers,
Sarah
If your baby was born on 7/2, she shares a birthday with my little boy. A special day calls for a special delivery from our Heavenly Father. Congrats!
I have no doubt that Ruby has prepared her little sister for this most wondrous journey to her incredible family. She will be smiling through the leaves as she watches her baby sister enjoy the sunshine from under the shelter of the trees in your backyard.
Your newest daughter is blessed to have Ruby watching out for her from above and Kate loving her to bits here on Earth.
Hugs as you welcome your new daughter! What an incredible blessing!
ani
this is so beautiful. you are so spiritually in tune and aware of every blessing though the pain. I could not be more happy for you and your sweet lola. please keep writing and sharing your journey with us who need the perspective more often.
xo
Can't wait to hear about your new baby girl. Just became an organ donor and was thinking about Ruby. Much love to you and your family.
What a beautiful post. You are a very strong woman and I admire your courage. Your 3 daughters are lucky to have you as their momma.
What a beautiful post. We have Ruby's picture up on our bulletin board where it will stay forever. You make a stunning pregnant woman!
I keep checking your blog just in case you have had time to update. :) Hoping everything went perfect for your cute little family. Hugs and prayers from mine to yours! <3
I love reading your blog, so refreshingly honest that it reaches me at deep emotional levels that need to let some tears out sometimes. Thanks for reminding me that grief is normal and so personal. Love to you and your beautiful eternal family!
Post a Comment